Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

sybill07
Senior Contributor

how best to access available help?

Hi

Me again - grumpy cow. V grumpy today after yet another entire day spent on the phone and at Centrelink.

How have people found help in their experience? I feel like I'm following rainbow trails, and nothing to show for it. Someone will suggest something, I follow it up, it isn't possible, so I start again. I try to access help, but it isn't available or what i need just at the minute. What I really would like is someone who KNOWS their stuff, and doesn't send me on (well-intentioned) wild goose chases. My own brain can't cope with it much longer. It's getting my partner down - he said he was a failure today. Great. Just what we need. I said no you're not, we're doing what we are advised, we're taking the proper channels, it's not your fault.

Today's classic (after they told me his centrelink payment - his second only one!! was reduced - again!! after i'd set up a budget and rung some utilities with a payment plan! which has totally gone now): we can't pay our rent - can you suggest something to help, a number to call?

I'll send you to the foodbank!

Um...

I feel sure there is help out there. Everyone tells me there is. Where? What is good, and how do you avoid the 'set up to get gov money rather than actually helping the client' situations?

I refuse to believe it is in our best interest to end up homeless and having to sell all our possessions because my husband can't work because of his illness. I mean he can, but the employment agency is useless. We'll have to do it ourselves, but that means me doing it, and I haven't time at the moment because I'm dealing with centrelink and fighting off utilities and trying to guide our floundering vessel through the dangerous shoals, while looking for more work for myself... and trying to avoid another nervous breakdown. Should I just force him back into work and hope he doesn't get sick? Without support? Without an undersanding of the company of his condition? So they will stress him out and he won't be able to work properly and then we'll get called into a disciplinary hearing again? I'm trying to do what is best for him, and taking advice from the professionals, but honestly. It's frustrating!

Really hoping tomorrow is a better day. Today taxed my strength, and even discouraged my insanely optimistic mother! I just can't believe the family has to bear all of this!

What are some tips and tricks and other helpful advice you may have had in the past that are useful in this situation? How do you get it through that you're not coping and you're in bad financial state and may need to leave your rental? Or do they just really not care?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: how best to access available help?

Hi @sybill07

Sorry to hear your still struggling to find some support. I came close to the point of becoming homeless many years ago it is something I do not want to repeat. Had to sell up most of our stuff and start from scratch. Had a few very tough years.

I heard in the news the other day that there are attempts being made to reduce the number of people on disability payments and am wondering if your partner is caught up in that. If you feel your being unfairly treated you could try your local MP. Have you tried organisations like Vinnie's and Anglicare? 

Hi @sybill07

Good to see you chatting on the forums even if you feel like a grumpy cow 🙂

I think we all have been a grumpy cow at some point dealing with Centrelink, there can be lots of hoops to jump through at a time when families feel stressed and vulnerable. One thing that has helped others get fast tracked or at least extra support within Centrelink is to make an appt to see the social worker there. Not all branches have one but they can help you navigate the system and link you into local resources. 

Also there is funded counselling /social work services available through your community health service. They offer someone to listen, support you emotionally and link you and your husband into useful services. The CHS or Anglicare may have financial counsellors who are great at helping families on low incomes or with debt to work out a budget that's manageable and access grants.

Hope these are useful ideas for you. Hang in there and I hope the pressure eases before too long.

Best wishes,

Frog

I understand the frustration, Dad lost his payments and is being forced back to work however he can't work, he is both mentally and physically unwell. He lost everything 2 years ago, So now he lives with me my husband and children and we financially support him, Centerlink don't care they just offer him newstart which he needs to look for work to access. ????????

Horrible circle so now we are going to the ombudsman to see if he can help.

We are also writing a complaint letter and looking to work with a disability advocacy service.

Not sure if this helps but honestly understand your struggle.

Good Luck

Hi everyone @MIFANTCARER, @sybill07, @Former-Member, @Former-Member,

Centrelink doesn`t care , months a go we were told to go to centrelink , I did all the paperwork , trying so hard to be positive for my huband who has MI ,

we spent all morning until 1pm waiting and being told we will have to go on newstart and find work , so by the end of it my husband was a total mess, could not eat any lunch, wanted to go home .

the afternoon was terrible , he said at the end of the day that he was nearly ready to take himself to hospital

Apprently there are some cases that can be eligible for Newstart when the "requirement to look for work" is reduced or waived ... if supporting documentation is provided ... could be worth a look.

thank you @Appleblossom, one person we saw said she would put us on DSP and then starting talking about all the appoinments and paperwaork that when  my husband just got up and walked out .

maybe I need to find more resources and information on which way is the bes

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance