Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Chloe9900
Casual Contributor

Contagious Feelings

I am a partner of someone with depression and anxiety. We are both in our mid-late 20's. I am in love with him but when we are good were amazing and when we're bad were so bad. I feel like his depression is really affecting me. I'm not a very strong person as it is and I am finding myself crying every single day, feeling lonely and worthless myself.
I have left my life and family behind in another country to be here with him and everyday all I want to do is fly home. I know he loves me and I love him, but I no longer love myself. I have gained 15kgs in a short period of time, I have lost all motivation to do anything. I used to be fit, have abs, I laughed and smiled all the time and had a zest for life.
I feel I've lost all of that because of his depression. I am at a real low and loss today. I need to be myself again but also want to be with him. Any advice or words or support would be welcomed. X
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Contagious Feelings

Hey @Chloe9900

firstly I want to say, that loving someone with a mental illness is one of the most difficult and often painful experiences we voluntarily commit too. You are incredible, for your commitment to your partner through the bad times and your courage to hold onto those moments of hope for the good times. You should be proud of yourself, what you are doing is amazing and no easy task.

I know and understand exactly where you are at... my partner has bipolar and we used to swing from the greatest of highs to the lowest and darkest of lows... and even though this was dictated by him and his illness, it happened to us, as I would be dragged through it alongside him. Finding your own stability and assurance in yourself can be very challenging. I personally sought the help of a psychologist of my own, to allow me to debrief and gather my thoughts and emotions. It took me some time to realise that I actually am a strong person, that I can not only pull myself through the rough spots, but my partner as well.

With time and help from my psych, I can now see all the advantages I have gained from loving my partner, I can communicate openly about my emotions with anyone, I will stand up and defend myself if I don’t believe something is right, I can identify when others around me are not quite themselves and offer support, and mostly, by setting healthy boundaries with my partner, I have a loving and supportive relationship where it is ok to ask for help and be honest about how we are both feeling.

There was a point a few years ago where I wasn't sleeping, I didn’t eat properly, I stopped exercising, I was constantly in a state of stress about my partners wellbeing. I didn’t take care of myself. I got sick, just the common cold... which turned into pneumonia, and I was hospitalised for weeks when one of my lungs collapsed. My body was too tired to fight, and I couldn’t save myself when I needed too. This was the point I realised, I could not go on like I was and started seeing my own psych. I recovered and joined a basketball team again, I had forgotten how much I loved to play, I encouraged my partner to learn to cook with me (he has food anxiety issues common in bipolar suffers) and again found my love for cooking. I asked him about things he used to enjoy, and he loved soccer, so we bought a soccer ball and on weekends took our dog to the park and he taught me to play. I learned to like video games because he did, so we could do that together in a positive environment. it took a lot of pushing from me to find our happy place, but we finally reached it and we have been here for a few years. There are still hard times/days/weeks but we can now work together to resolve them.

You can achieve this too. it always helps to be honest with your partner, I told him I wasn’t happy not exercising and eating takeaway so I was playing basketball again, he could come if he wanted or he could stay home, either way I was going. I told him that I used to be a great cook, and I would like him to try and cook with me so he might be less hesitant about foods (turns out he is an amazing cook, probably better than me!). Remember things you used to enjoy and actively chase them again, encourage your partner to come along for the ride if you can, and push yourself out of your comfort zone to do things he likes too.

And keep chatting here, there are SO many amazing people, full of advice and support. I will always be around if you want to chat, just tag me. You are strong, and you are amazing. Don’t ever doubt that!

xx

Tigs

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You brought tears to my eyes. You've provided me with some motivation to get back to doing things I love. Thank you for replying. X

Hi @Chloe9900,

Welcome to the SANE forums Smiley Happy

I can hear that your partner's depression is having an impact on you, which can be quite common. And this is made harder for you given that your away from home. I just wanted to check in with you and see how you have been traveling since your last post?

@Tiggeroo has great advice there from personal experience.  Getting back to things that you enjoy is really important and gives you an outlet. It sounds as though you used to be into fitness and exercising. Is this something you would be able to pick up again? Or are there some other things you could do that would make you feel more like yourself again?

Seeing a psychologist for some support for yourself given that your family is overseas may also be helpful, as @Tiggeroo mentioned. It may be able to help you during the times you are feeling low and at a bit of a loss.

Hope to 'see' you soon Smiley Happy

Rockpool

What a beautiful place to come and talk and to have people follow up!
It's only been a few days with minimal progress. We barely see each other as it is due to our fields of work. I'm day and he's night. The minimal time we have seen each other it's been distant and awkward.
We move house on Monday, which should be an exciting time for a new and fresh start but of course, he isn't all that keen all of a sudden. It's frustrating!!! Once we move I'm hoping things will settle and I will certainly be in a better living environment, so I'm hoping to get back into the things I love.
I would love to have a few Psych sessions, however I don't qualify for Medicare or any Australian health insurance (due to my visa type) and can't really afford to pay out of pocket right now.
He has Medicare but refuses to go. He thinks it's a waste of time and "they're the worst people to talk to because they don't actually care."
So ya! That's where I'm at now. Thank you for checking in ❤️

Hi Chloe, reading your post is the reason why i joined here. My wife has anxiety, since she was very young, and trying to find help, answers or support for "carers" has been increasingly difficult. Reading someone else's story that mimics some of my own feels like I'm not the only one. The constant egg shell walking, wondering the type of mood she'll be in, running around trying to get everything sorted out to limit any yelling or anxiety attacks... The feeling of being the only one who has to fix everything and sort things out constantly, I'm rambling now so I'll wrap this one up.
I hope you are looking after yourself and there are more ups than downs, and if you get a chance can keep us posted on things. It's feels reassuring that there's others out there that understand that it's not all that easy for us "carers" either.

Hi Chloe,
Moving to a new place/country is tough. It can take a while to settle in and find your own feet. Even moving interstate for me was a challenge as everything was new and different and the familiar things that we take for granted weren't there like the hairdresser/ doctor / local shop keeper that knows us even if only superficially, let alone our family and friends who know us well. I often fly back ' home' to feel at home in myself but that's not so easy from overseas. I imagine it's even harder when your main point of contact is your partner and he's depressed. It helped me initially to keep up phone contact with old friends and family and over time start to venture out and make new friends . 'Meet up' groups can be great in some cities here . You can meet lots of people in the same boat doing the things that you like. I joined a film watching group and a band listening group and set up a new group for day tripping to explore my new city surrounds. It's free or cheap to join a group. It put a big more control back into my life and was fun too.

I wish you well.
Jane
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance