Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

SCORPION
Senior Contributor

offense to people with mental health

Hi

It was my wedding anniversary today so thought I would like to go somewhere. 

We went to a major shopping center for a movie and a bit of lunch.

While walking through the center twice I saw the same person with this written on a tee shirt. 

BEWARE SUICIDAL TENDENCY LOL.

I couldn't get it out of my head it hurts me as I deal with the reality of those thoughts and people think is a subject for humor. 

We left and went home I couldn't find any way to explain to my wife really why I had to leave I just felt it a a personal attack. 

Has any one else experience this or am I too sensitive. 

Scorpion

8 REPLIES 8

Re: offense to people with mental health

Im so sorry that this affected your day @SCORPION

It really saddens me that people think that this is a subject to be flippant about. I have never had an experience like this (thankfully) but I dont belive you are being over sensitive at all. 

I hope you have had a nice evening celebrating your wedding anniversary. 

Thank I actually wound up sleeping most of then afternoon as at times I finf its better to escape the world's a holes this way .I know that isn't how I am ment to deal with these things but it's getting harder to handle a times.

Scorpion

@SCORPION I have those days where I need to wear a shirt like that. Sad but true. I'm sorry it made you feel bad. Right now in my ever changing moods I can relate to how it must have made you feel. On one of my good days I might have given them an earfull! I hope your anniversary got better.

It would have been a trigger for me too. Remember that it's not possible to change other people but we can change/strengthen ourselves... Meaning, when someone's lack of understanding hurts you, it's ok. Feel the pain, note it, don't judge yourself for feeling upset, because it IS hurtful and your pain is valid. That person is not you and has no idea of the pain. Take a breath, know you are safe in that moment, and continue being in the moment. If you need to leave that's fine. Don't be hard on yourself, triggers are everywhere and they come in weird ways at the worst times.

I dont think it is over sensitive. I would have felt triggered and it is not just for my own experience but for the experiences of others who have died that way.

it is hard to guard ourselves against triggers when we cant anticipate them... the trigger slips in under any mental armour we have prepared.

I am beginning to accept that it is not that nice a world and self protection for myself and children my highest prioirity.  I hope in the end you could explain it to your wife. 

Women are wanting more sensitive and in tune men who actually remember wedding anniversaries ... so sensitive is good too.

Hi Appleblossom

Yes I was able to tell my wife much latter that day. We still need to go back and celebrate are wedding anniversary. I have told myself I have to go back and face this I have decided that idiots won't take the few joys I have, and as my wife is also my best friend I won't let her suffer my problem. 

She has been so strong and my real support along with some great doctors though all my physical and mental health issues from my accident. I feel that I need to make our lives better.  So to that end we are going to move to a small country town and start life anew, I have taken up making soap candles and wooden toy's as a type of personal therapy, so will continue to do that and grow vegetables and chickens. 

This will happen later this year but have started ball rolling and brought a small place that is rented till August then we will move in.

Scorpion

Hi @SCORPION

It is great to hear that you have found a good direction and occupations and are making plans.

I am glad I am getting older.  In many ways it is easier than being young and at the mercy of the elements. Then I took in far too much.  Absolutely call it is as it is ... idiotic sayings and behaviours should be treated as such.

cheers Apple

Hi, Scorpion. I don't think you are being too sensitive. Suicide is no joke, it's a time when the person contemplating needs help and support, now. Was the person quite young, not that that's any excuse, but often to young people they have no thought for the content written on these shirts. Were you able to talk to your wife later? If you couldn't, perhaps writing down how you felt and why, then asking her to discuss with you how you felt, might be an idea.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance