Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Poem - My Zigs And My Zags

Hi @Silenus I love your writing. Some of your work really resonates with me.    I used to write a lot too but the last 2 years or so have not had the same motivation or inspiration to do it.  I feel like it's a bit to do with the medications I'm on.  I also have bipolar 1.

Re: Writing As A Form Of Therapy

Thank you for your kind words @eth 🙂

That's interesting what you say about your motivation and inspiration to write. There appears to be very strong links with mental health issues such as bipolar, and the creative "spark".

Kay Redfield Jamison wrote a great book titled "Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament". It's a great read, exploring the prevalence of bipolar in artistic people...

My inspiration to write comes and goes. Years ago, I had a 6-year dry spell where I hardly wrote a thing...

About 4 years ago, I made a decision that my true calling was as a writer. Since then, I have worked hard at my writing, even on days when I feel no motivation or inspiration to do so. That approach has worked quite well for me...

If I may ask @eth - do you miss writing?

Thanks for caring, and for posting in my little self-indulgent thread... hahaha...

Hugs and happy vibes beaming your way... 🙂

Thank you kindly Cap'n ( @GonePirate ). I am very much enjoying trawling through my poems and writing short introductions to them. It's amazing how easy it is to revisit the state(s) of mind I was in when I wrote the poems. It's like when you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when a particular song was playing, you know?

Hugs, brotherman... 🙂

Maybe I shld write my life story then run away. I can't do this anymore. Facing my fears is too hard. I need a hand to help me get through this. Writing is my only help

Hi @Silenus I do miss writing.  I also made a committment to being a poet for several years and was planning to publish.  Put my favourite pieces together and sent them to my favourite uncle who is very literary and got no feedback whatsoever.  It was a major disappointment.  I think it was hard for him to relate to works about bipolar and such.  Maybe one of these days I'll dig some of my pieces out and put them on here like you have.  Writing is such good therapy but at the moment my urge is satisfied by being in these forums.

I really like how you don't feel obliged to make everything rhyme.  I'm like that too.  I do like to work rhythm in when I can.

I agree that over history many of the world's creative people have had bipolar.  It's well documented now.

I can relate, @eth - I gave my parents a copy of my poetry years ago. Despite both of them being keen readers, neither of them ever read my stuff...

Poetry especially is often very personal, and not many people tend to read it any more...

I self published a book of my poetry (290-odd pages) and a book of my philosophical writings - my wisdoms. So far, one mate and two relatives have bought a copy of each... hahaha...

Not exactly the response I was expecting. I thought at least 5 or 10 of my mates would have supported my art, even if none of them ever read the books, so the response was pretty underwhelming...

I comfort myself with the fact that I write purely for my own enjoyment (and compulsion), and if anyone else can be bothered to read it and likes it, that's a huge bonus...

Sorry to hear that about your books @Silenus but I like your healthy attitude about writing for yourself.

Please don't run away @BlueBay, we are here for you and each other in these forums. I think writing your life story is a good idea, it might really help you and you might even remember some of the better times along the way. Maybe you could start a thread for your life story and mention me so I see it. Thinking of you and concerned about you. Do you have anyone to talk to? Could lifeline be helpful if you are really down? They have helped me in the past.

Hang in there @BlueBay 🙂

Sending hugs and supportive gentle vibes...

Hi again @Silenus I was inspired by our chat to get out 'me pomes 'n' tomes' as I call them and have a look.  Not sure whether to put a couple on here or if you'd prefer me to start a separate thread.  Let me know please.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance