Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

janedoe2
Senior Contributor

New Dr

I've started talking therapy with a new Dr and am feeling a little stirred up emotionally. I am learning heaps from him but starting to feel overwhelmed. How should I approach my weekly sessions? Any suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3
utopia
Senior Contributor

Re: New Dr

&janedoe2. Hi. Congratulations on finding a new therapist. I find it's best to be honest with my psychologist. Yes oush me a little but not too much. It's a balancing act between you and your therapist. Is he pushing yiu or going to fast for you? Let him know.
CannonSalt
Senior Contributor

Why do you think you're feeling overwhelmed? Is he pushing too hard, or is the topic just a very difficult one for you?

Do you think this could be a case where 'it gets worse before it gets better', or is it a case of 'it gets worse before it gets even worserer'?

Is your therapist respectful of you? Can you trust the therapist to remain respectful as you sort through the old thoughts and patterns that aren't working?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-therapy/200807/shouldn-t-psychotherapy-make-me-feel-good - this is a therapist's position on therapy makes you feel good. It's great that you feel like you're learning a lot from him.

Sorry to give more questions than answers, but I hope they help.
janedoe2
Senior Contributor

I've decided to stop this intensive therapy. I have been seeing a psychologist once a month and the pace of our sessions suits me best. I don't need to dig so deep right now. I originally wanted to see the doctor for medication assessment. I'm setting up a medication based doctor which will help me with my current needs.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance