Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Pulch
Casual Contributor

Art THerpay

I've never had my ED formally/clinically diagnosed.  I would say my ED was in the moderate-severe range, and it lasted for 7 years. 

Nothing has really worked until I've done some art therapy, based on Brene BRown's book called the gifts of imperfection.  

37 REPLIES 37

Re: Art THerpay

Hi @Pulch

Welcome to the forums, hope you find lots of support and friends here.  I have struggled with ED for over 25 years so I can relate to how difficult that is; it has been pretty much under control for the last 10 or so, so long as I dont trigger it off again by doing something like diet or weigh myself - those ar no-nos for me.

For me NLP and Hypnosis were the most helpful things.

It is great that you found Art Therapy useful - I have been itching to try out Art Therapy for a while. I have Brene Brown's book, but I haven't read it all the way through - were the art therapy techniques written about in the book or was this therapy based on the book by yurself or someone else?

@Pulch. thanks for the book tip off. Art therapy is something I am very interested so I will def have to chase up this recommendation.

I have often used art as a self soothing or tune down for my Bipolar. Its one of my go to coping strategies. My favourite thing is a gigantic piece of paper, some headphones with pink floyd, and a box of oil pastels that I can smoosh around on the page! Charcoal is great too. I absolutely adore any tactile materials I can get my hands into!

@grubbytoes I love your name! And it nice to hear that someone  enjoys smooshing around colour to Pink Floyd!

@grubbytoes, I second @chookmojo, love your name and profile pic.

@Pulch and @grubbytoes @chookmojo Can I ask what you do with your art afterwards. Do you keep it, to look at and reflect on later?

I'm a writer, and when I write for therapeutic purposes very rarely do I go back and look at it. Just wondering what others do...

At the moment I'm on the move, travelling a lot so I keep everything in sketchbooks. When I have too many sketchbooks I mail them back home to Australia but sometimes it hurts a little  having to do this because they tend to be a reference for my thinking, and also a collection of visual ideas that I like to come back to when I create new pieces.

When I was back in Aus, I used to draw and paint on very large (A1 or A0) pages or canvases and sometimes I got into the habit of grouping things into 3 categories: Like, Don't like, and Maybe. It was always fun to flick back through the piles and often I liked a lot of what was in the 'don't like' pile, or I got new ideas just by looking at something I had forgotten about.

Most of my art is not finished pieces, but rather a visual experiment or exploration, or visual notes I have collected about how other artists represent things. The pieces I tend to like the most are the self-therapy kind of stuff I do when I am on a low day with my Bipolar and I feel like my body is being flooed with all sorts of mood chemicals. Rather than being analytical visual experiments, the art I create on these days is much MUCH more intuitive, there's no real thinking or judgment or generating ideas in that process, it's more like a dream-ish kind of state where I just doodle aimlessly and let the lines and colours find their own way across the page. Because I'm not painting to create a picture, just to sooth myself with a kind of meditative activity, I think it generates a lot of diverse visual ideas that I would notmally squash with my more analytical side, if that makes any sense?

Oh! and my name, grubbytoes, I'm glad you like it. I chose it because it kind of connects with things I love about the beauty of imperfection and messiness, having my feet on the earth, travel, childlike curiosity, and I kind of have a passionate love affair with my feet!

@Pulch and anyone else who's keen to share, I'd love to hear more about your art process, what you do with your art, what you get out of it, or anything else you can share.

I used to think my feet were the best part of me too @grubbytoes Woman Happy and I indulged a little wonderlust a long time ago ...

@CherryBomb Much of my writing has not been re-read ... maybe I will get time to craft it a bit ... one day.

Tomorrow my writing group is launching an anthology ... we are going to have workshops and a dinner to celebrate ... and a friend invited me to a lunch before ...

Have you ever published in Blue Dog?

With art I keep anything that I like even ONE line of... though I seldom go back through things. With writing I usually skim over it everynow and again and mostly turf it out, I have only kept a very little bit.

Pulch
Casual Contributor

I keep mine. I used a4 canvas and watercolour paper so I just use an a 4 folder to keep them 🙂

oh oh!!! pick me pick me!

i have studied and practiced and worked art therapy in my early working years and loved it.

Theres soooooooo many different things you can try.

One of my favs were to chose 5 emotions you have: 3 positive and 2 not so much the best.

Then make up a random story about them- the emotions are the characters of the story.....

or if your not much of a writer you can draw out each character as a cartoon- i use to draw mine out as monsters ( only because i love them).

Example:

Bubbly

Determined

Creative

Critical

Fear

One day Bubbly thought it was a nice day to go to the beach- every one agreed, Determined thought best if she packed every thing for every one. Creative wanted to take ALL of her art supplies But Critical didnt like any of her clothes for the season. Fear was worried she might see an ex boyfriend while they were there and was second guessing the whole trip.....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance