Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Forums

Why do people join forums?

I have joined a few forums in the past 6 years since being diagnosed with BPD, depression, PTSD.  I was on one well known forum but was 'not allowed' to go back as I was on there too often. I still get angry with that decision, I tried to explain it was my BPD behaviour, it was my depression, and anxiety seeking out help but they refused and have 'banned me'.  To me that was a kick in the guts, an abaonded I will never forget.  How can a mental health forum a well known company ban someone who was so vulnerable and needed help, support and advice from others. I feel so betrayed.

I am totally blown away by the amount of people that are suffering from a mental illness/disorder.

But the fact is that if we didn't have this fantastic forum we wouldn't be able to chat to others who are in the same boat as I am; to be able to get some support, advice and even a virtual hug - it means so much to me and I am sure to others as well.  We all understand the struggles, the pain, the hurt, the abandonment, the tears, we get it.

For me, I struggle so much to talk to my husband with indepth conversations about my mental health.  I struggle with talking to him about my personal issues like depression and how it feels for me; my self harming episodes and my suicidal ideation.  I guess my husband doesn't understand because he hasn't been there, he doesn't have depression, he wasn't sexually abused as a child; he doesn't know what to say. 

But being on here I can talk to others because I know that some of you (if not most) can understand what we are all going through.  

And by being on here and supporting each other we care, we all want to feel better, to be able to work, to be able to get out of bed each day, to be able to see that we have a purpose in life.

I am just so glad that I am on this fantastic forum.  For me it is a 'release' of my emotions, my hurt and pain. And I can talk to others and don't feel so alone, abandoned or rejected.

29 REPLIES 29
BlueBells
Senior Contributor

Re: Forums

Hi SadGirl 🙂

I joined a forum because at that time I was fairly thumped by Anxiety and Depression.

Three or four sites were suggested by Lifeline, and I settled with the first one I looked at, actually.

I felt "safe" in the anonymity and openness of the site, the way people freely comment and support.

Also, knowing the ModSquad kept an eye on inappropriate posts, and quickly removed the odd "bad egg", added to the safe feel of the site.

So that is why I joined a forum. I am, however, very new here, and still am not sure how it works. I figure similar in some ways.

Hugs :):):) (ahhh !!!! What it is to be stuck with this huggy person inside me 😞 )

I'm not good with people in real time/real life.   I always had problems connecting and relating up until my 1st admittance into a MHU.   There i made friends easily.  So yeah,  i prefer forums because i'm much better with the typed convos. I get lonely even though i have a family.   Sometimes it's hard to feel human

I am glad the forum has made a difference @BlueBay. I am also glad that I havent been banned as I have spent a lot of time on this forum.

Your being stuck with a "huggy person" made me smile, thanks @BlueBells 

I felt stressed to the extent I didnt feel human for a long time @Simona. I am much better now, though still have wobbly times. It is a state is possible to change.  Not by a force of the will, but gradually over time. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm here simply because I'm stressed depressed and seriously lonely.

love
Bells XO 🙂

Hi there Bella 🙂

I so understand that feeling, and Simona.

Odd how one can feel such loneliness when others live in the same house, isn't it?

Hey Bells, drop into the Beer Garden 😄 Good place for a quiet drink, or a good ramble about the days happenings 🙂

Hugs 🙂 🙂 🙂 (it could also be a tad OCD, as typically 3 smilies 😄 )

I'm really quite shocked to hear that a forum dedicated to the mental health and wellbeing of those with a mental illness would ban someone 😕 That's quite odd.

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Hi @DefiantPanda

It's true it did happen.  I won't say who the forum was but I was shocked. i did write to the manager to explain i still need help and would like to stay on the forum - but was told straight out no; told to use my own support people and to not come back on.  I even tried to use a different user name (stupid idea) but I thought it was a good idea at the time; but they knew by my IP address that it was me and they sent me an email saying i was banned.  I had made so many (online forum friends) and to me they were my family; they knew what i was going through; they knew how to help me get back up again; they were there for me - and then that happened and i felt so abandoned yet again.  It was horrible.

Maybe I breached their rules but I was in a mental state, wanting, needing help so much that I never got.

Very disappointed. So now I am scared and anxious that whatever i write on here i will be judged by the moderators and will then be 'thrown off' the forum.  I hope not because this has been my life saver at the moment.  i can't have any forum abandon me.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I love you BlueBells, come here and I will give you a Bigggg Hug!!!! 🙂
I am a huggy person too, (((( BB))))
You have made my morning so much better, seriously.
Thank you for being, You!
Love
Bells XOOO. 🙂
Silenus
Senior Contributor

Hurray for huggy people!!!

Hiya @Former-Member 🙂

More hugs beaming your way.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance